UPSC Civil Service Preliminary Examination (CSE 2020) will be conducted in the month of May 2020 (Prelims) and September 2020 (Mains). UPSC CSE also known as Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is a recruitment examination for Class I administrative officers. This exam is conducted every year in three stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Through this exam various eligible candidates are selected and recruited in civil services like IPS, IAAS, IRS, IFS, IDAS, CAPF, etc. Students can check complete details related to CSE 2020 exam dates, vacancies, salary, application, eligibility criteria, etc.
UPSC CSE 2020 Notification
UPSC CSE 2020 notification will be released in the month of February . Candidates can check the notification & get detailed information about CSE exams. The notification will contain CDS exam dates, eligibility criteria, exam pattern, how to fill the application & other relevant details.
UPSC CSE 2020 Exam Dates
Check details of dates of CSE 2020 given in the table below. The official dates have been released by UPSC and the same are given in the table below:
|Starting date of CSE I online application||12th February 2020|
|Last date to Apply||3rd March 2020|
|Downloading of Admit card||May 2020|
|CSE Prelims Exam Date||31st May 2020|
|Prelims result declaration||August 2020 (tentative)|
|CSE Mains Exam date||18th September 2020|
|Mains result declaration||October (tentative)|
|Name of the Exam||Civil Services Examination (CSE) / Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Type||National Level Recruitment Exam|
|Exam Mode||Pen and Paper (Offline)|
UPSC CSE Vacancy & Posts
For CSE, as per the last year trends it is expected that approximately 896 vacancies will be there which are to be filled. Of the total vacancies, 39 vacancies are reserved for the PWBD candidates which includes –
- 8 vacancies for person with blindness and low vision
- 11 vacancies for deaf and hard of hearing
- 15 vacancies for locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy &
- 5 vacancies for multiple disabilities
The various posts in which the candidates will get recruited are listed below with their groups:
|Post Name||Group Name|
|Indian Administrative Service||—|
|Indian Foreign Service||—|
|Indian Police Service||—|
|Indian Audit and Accounts Service||A|
|Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service||A|
|Indian Defence Accounts Service||A|
|Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise)||A|
|Indian Revenue Service (I.T.),||A|
|Indian Postal Service||A|
|Indian Ordnance Factories Service||A|
|Indian Railway Traffic Service||A|
|Indian Civil Accounts Service||A|
|Indian Railway Accounts Service||A|
|Assistant Security Commissioner in RFP||A|
|Indian Railway Personnel Service||A|
|Indian Information Service (Junior Grade)||A|
|Indian Defence Estates Service||A|
|Indian Corporate Law Service||A|
|Indian Trade Service||A|
|Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (Section Officer’s Grade)||B|
|Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service||B|
|Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service||B|
|Pondicherry Police Service||B|
|Pondicherry Civil Service||B|
IAS Salary & Allowances
The basic pay of an IAS officer in entry level is Rs.56100. The salary increases as the experience level grows. Various allowances like Dearness Allowance (DA), Travel Allowance (TA) & House Rent Allowance (HRA) is provided apart from salary.
UPSC CSE 2020 Registration Form
UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form will be made available from 12th February 2020. Students can register for the exam till 3rd March 2020. During application submission, candidates are required to enter the details of their any valid photo id proof (Aadhaar card/DL/Voter card/PAN card/Passport) and also upload the document.
Also See: UPSC CSE 2020 Application Form
Complete application process can be done through online mode. Candidates must carefully complete all the application steps to get successfully.
- Application Fee is Rs.100.
- ST/SC/Females/PWD candidates are exempted to pay fee.
Application fee can be paid online (Net banking/Debit card/Credit card).
UPSC CSE Previous Years Question Papers
Students can download CSE Previous years question papers here. By solving previous years question papers candidates will get an idea of type of questions and will be able to practice for the exam in a better way.
UPSC CSE Eligibility Criteria & Qualification
UPSC CSE 2020 Eligibility can be checked by the applying candidates:
- Applicants should be an Indian citizen or subject of Bhutan/Nepal or Tibetan refugee who have migrated to India before 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanent settlement in India.
- Candidates of Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Malawi, Ethiopia, Zaire, Zambia & Vietnam for permanent settlement in India are also eligible.
- Applying candidate minimum age limit should be 21 years and maximum age limit should be below 32 years as on the 1st of August, 2020. He/she must have not been born earlier than 2nd August, 1988 and not later than 1st August, 1999.
- ST/SC candidates will be provided 5 years of age relaxation in the upper age limit.
- OBC candidates will be given 3 years of age relaxation in the upper age limit.
- Candidate must have a graduation degree.
- Candidates in the last semester of their qualifying degree waiting for their result are also eligible to apply. The result must be declared before the registration for mains exam.
- For general candidates, the maximum number of attempt limit for the exam is 6.
- For OBC candidates, the maximum attempt limit is 9.
- No attempt limit for ST/SC candidates.
UPSC CSE Exam Pattern
Go through the below given CSE 2020 exam pattern:
For Preliminary test:
- Exam mode: The exam will be held in offline (Pen & paper mode).
- Paper Language: The language of the paper will be in – English & Hindi.
- Type of questions: In the exam, the question asked will be of multiple choice question type.
- No. of papers: There will be 2 papers – General Ability Test and Civil Services Aptitude test.
- Marks: Each paper will be of 200 marks.
- Time Duration: 2 hours will be given for each paper.
- Marking: For each incorrect answer, 0.33 of the marks assigned to the question will be reduced. In general studies, 2 marks will be provided for each correct answer while 2.5 marks will be given in Civil Service Aptitude test for each correct answer.
|Papers||No of questions||Time Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Studies (Paper 1)||80||2 hrs||200|
|CSAT (Paper 2)||100||2 hrs||200|
For Mains Exam:
- Paper Language: The language of the paper will be in – English & Hindi.
- Type of questions: Candidates can answer all questions (excluding Paper A and Paper B) in any language prescribed in notification.
- Question Type: The questions in the paper will be of subjective in nature.
- of papers: There will be 9 papers. Students have to appear for 7 compulsory papers which include 4 papers of General Studies, a paper on any of the regional languages as the choice of the candidate, an essay paper and English. Remaining two papers will be from optional subjects which a candidate has to choose from the list of 26 subjects as given by UPSC.
- Marks: Paper will be of total 1750 marks.
- Time Duration: 3 hours will be given to solve each paper.
- Marking: 2.5 marks will be given for each correct answer.
UPSC CSE 2020 Syllabus
CSE / IAS 2020 Syllabus in prelims round will contain various topics from General Awareness, English and General Aptitude. For mains, the syllabus will include various topics from general studies, regional language & essay writing. To check detailed syllabus of CSE /IAS, click here.
UPSC CSE Recruitment Process
To get selected in CSE 2020, candidates must qualify the below stages:
- In prelims exam, candidates qualifying the exam will be considered eligible for mains exam. Paper II of general studies will be qualifying in nature with 33% fixed as minimum qualifying marks.
- In the mains exam, written test will be conducted.
- Personality Test or Interview
- After written test, interview will be conducted.
Preparation Tips & Strategy
To score better in the CSE/IAS entrance exam, candidates can take help of below given preparation tips:
- Make notes & revise these notes regularly.
- Make a proper timetable dividing your study time equally for various subjects.
- Try solving sample papers & previous year’s questions papers for a better preparation.
- Take mock test with the help of which the speed and accuracy will be improved.
Also go through our preparation strategy prepared for the students who want to excel in the entrance test.
UPSC CSE Books & Study Material
Studying from good useful books for the exam is very essential. Candidates can check here for some recommended books of IAS / CSE exam preparation.
UPSC CSE 2020 Admit Card
Admit card for CSE/ IAS 2020 entrance exam will be made available for download only to the successfully registered candidates. Students will be able to download admit card through online mode three weeks before the exam. No admit card will be sent through post to the candidates.
It is compulsory for the candidates to show themselves with the admit card in the exam center. In case any discrepancy occurs related to admit card, candidates must contact the officials 3 weeks before the exam.
Students can obtain information from Facilitation Counter located in the Commission’s Office in person or contact over phone Nos. 011-23381125/011- 23385271/011-23098543.
UPSC CSE 2020 Cut Off
CSE 2020 Cut off marks must be attained by the candidates in order to be eligible for various posts. The cut off will be separately for prelims, mains and for final selection after interview.
As per the last year trends, the cut off is described in the given below table for various categories:
UPSC CSE 2020 Result
UPSC CSE 2020 Result will be announced in the month of August 2020 for Prelims and in the month of January 2021 for Mains. Result can be checked by the candidates through online mode by entering their login details.
After the release of result of prelims and mains, the interview or personality test will be held. After this the final result will be released in the month of February or March 2021 tentatively.
UPSC CSE 2020 Interview
In the personality test or interview round, candidate’s Psychometric Test, Assessment Test as well as the Personal Interview will be taken. This interview will be taken to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service. The interview will be of total 275 marks.
Various questions will be asked questions on matters of general interest. Candidate’s critical powers of assimilation, mental alertness, balance of judgement, clear and logical exposition, ability for social cohesion and leadership, variety and depth of interest, intellectual and moral integrity will be judged.