IFS 2020 entrance exam is organized by UPSC. The IFS exam will be conducted in the month of May (Prelims) and November (Mains). IFS (Indian Forest Service) is an entrance exam conducted every year in order to select various eligible candidates in the post of officers for forest services.
To get selected, candidates have to first clear the prelims round of CSE (Civil Services). After clearing the prelims round of CSE, the qualified candidates will be eligible for IFS written test and interview round. Know complete details of IFS 2020 exam through this article.
IFS 2020 Notification
IES 2020 notification will be released in the month of February. Candidates can check the notification & get detailed information about IFS examination. The notification will contain IFS exam dates, eligibility criteria, exam pattern, how to fill the application & other relevant details.
UPSC IFS 2020 Exam Dates
Check Exam Dates schedule of IFS 2020 given in the table below:
|Start date of application||12th February 2020|
|Last date to Apply||3rd March 2020|
|Downloading of Admit card||3rd week of May|
|IFS Prelims Exam Date||31st May 2020|
|IFS Mains Exam date||22nd November 2020|
|IFS Result||To be notified later|
|Name of the Exam||Indian Forest Service (IFS)|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Type||National Level Recruitment Exam|
|Exam Mode||Pen and Paper (Offline)|
UPSC IFS 2020 Vacancy
According to the last year trends, it is expected that there will be approximately 90 vacancies. Reservation will be applicable for ST, SC, OBC, EWS & PWD candidates as fixed by Government. The reservation are further liable to alter. Also, as per Ministry of Environment:
- 1 vacancy will be for person of low vision category
- 2 vacancies for partially deaf category
- 1 vacancy for locomotor disability (sub category: Leprosy cured & acid attack victims)
Indian Forest Service IFS Salary
The pay scale varies for various level, posts and designations in IFS. Check pay scale below for various levels:
- Junior Time Scale (Pay level 10) salary – Rs. 56,100
- Senior Time Scale (Pay level 11) salary – Rs. 67,700
- Junior Administrative Grade (Pay level 12) – Rs. 78,800
- Selection Grade (Pay level 13) – Rs. 1,18,500
- Super Time Scale (DIG/Conservator Grade) (Pay level 13A) – Rs. 1,50,000
- (Above Super Time Scale) Senior Administrative Grade (Pay Level 14) – Rs. 1,75,000
- HAG scale (Pay level 15) – Rs. 2,00,000
- HAG+ Scale (Pay level 16) – Rs. 2,05,400
- Apex Scale (Pay level 17) – Rs. 2,25,000
IFS 2020 Application Form
UPSC IFS 2020 Application Form will be released in the 12th February 2020. Candidates will be able to register till 3rd March 2020. Candidates must note that they must appear for Civil services (Prelims) exam and qualify it to be eligible for second stage of IFS (Written test and Interview).
Also See: IFS 2020 Application Form
Registration can be done through online mode only. At the time of filling application, candidates must make sure that they have details of their valid photo id proof to fill it in the form. Also, candidates applying for IFS can also apply for Civil Services using single application form.
- Application Fee is Rs. 100.
- ST/SC/Females/PWD candidates are exempted to pay fee.
Payment Mode: Application fee can be paid online (Net banking/Debit card/Credit card). Through offline mode, fee can be paid by deposit of cash at SBI branch.
UPSC IFS Previous Years Question Papers
Go through IFS Previous years question papers here and solve them for better preparation.
These question papers will give a good idea of exam and help the candidates to score good marks.
IFS Eligibility Criteria & Qualification
Complete IFS 2020 Eligibility and Qualification details are given below:
- Applicants should be an Indian citizen or subject of Bhutan/Nepal or Tibetan refugee who have migrated to India before 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanent settlement in India.
- Candidates of Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Malawi, Ethiopia, Zaire, Zambia & Vietnam for permanent settlement in India are also eligible.
- Age Criteria
- Applying candidate minimum age limit should be 21 years and maximum age limit should be below 32 years as on the 1st of August, 2020. He/she must have not been born earlier than 2nd August, 1988 and not later than 1st August, 1999.
- ST/SC candidates will be provided 5 years of age relaxation in the upper age limit.
- OBC candidates will be given 3 years of age relaxation in the upper age limit.
- Educational Qualifications
- Candidate must have a Bachelors degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering or Bachelors degree in any one of the subjects – Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology
- Candidates in the last semester of their qualifying degree waiting for their result are also eligible to apply. The result must be declared before the registration for mains exam.
- Attempt Limits
- For general candidates, the maximum number of attempt limit for the exam is 6.
- For OBC candidates, the maximum attempt limit is 9.
- No attempt limit for ST/SC candidates.
- Physical Standards
- Candidate must be physically fit as per the physical standards mentioned for admission to Indian Forest Service Examination.
IFS Exam Pattern
To qualify IFS exam, candidates have to first clear preliminary exam of Civil services exam. After clearing prelims, candidates have to next qualify the mains exam which consist of written test and interview round. Go through the prelims and mains exam pattern of IFS 2020:
For Preliminary test:
- Exam mode: The exam will be held in offline (Pen & paper mode).
- Paper Language: The language of the paper will be in – English & Hindi.
- Type of questions: In the exam, the question asked will be of multiple choice question type.
- No. of papers: There will be 2 papers – General Ability Test and Civil Services Aptitude test.
- Marks: Each paper will be of 200 marks.
- Time Duration: 2 hours will be given for each paper.
- Marking: For each incorrect answer, 0.33 of the marks assigned to the question will be reduced. In general studies, 2 marks will be provided for each correct answer while 2.5 marks will be given in Civil Service Aptitude test for each correct answer.
|Papers||No of questions||Time Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Studies (Paper 1)||80||2 hrs||200|
|CSAT (Paper 2)||100||2 hrs||200|
For Mains Exam:
- Exam type: The mains paper will be in written test.
- No of papers: There will be of total of 6 papers in the written test.
- Marks: Marks of paper 1 and 2 will be of 300 marks and rest of the 4 papers will be of 200 marks each.
- Language medium: The paper will be in English language only.
|Paper 1||General English||300|
|Paper 3||It will be opted as per the optional subjects chosen by the candidates||200|
IFS 2020 Syllabus
For prelims, the syllabus will be same as CSE / IAS 2020 Syllabus of prelims round. Various topics will be from general studies and CSAT paper. For mains, the syllabus will include various topics from General English, GK, and other optional subjects, as opted by the candidates. Click here.
UPSC IFS 2020 Selection process
To get selected in IFS 2020, candidates must qualify the below stages:
- Civil Services Preliminary Exam
- In prelims exam, candidates qualifying the CSE exam will be further considered eligible for mains exam. Paper II of general studies will be qualifying in nature with 33% fixed as minimum qualifying marks.
- In the mains exam, written test will be conducted.
- Personality Test or Interview
- After written test, interview / personality test will be conducted.
UPSC IFS Preparation Tips & Strategy
To score better in the IFS entrance exam, candidates can go through and follow below given preparation tips:
- Before starting preparation, carefully go through the syllabus, exam pattern and other details.
- After carefully reading the exam pattern and syllabus, students must prepare a timetable for exam preparation.
- Solve previous year’s questions papers for a better to know question trend of exam.
- Solve mock tests to improve speed and accuracy level.
Achieve good score in the entrance exam by following our preparation strategy of IFS 2020 exam.
UPSC IFS Books & Study Material
Check here various books of CSE and IFS exam preparation below.
- IFS Indian forest service PHYSICS : Physics (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide
- Indian Forestry: A breakthrough approachto Forest Service
- Ifs Indian Forest Service Botany Examination
- Ifs Indian Forest Service Botany Examination
- UPSC: Civil Services & Indian Forest Service (Common Preliminary: Paper-I) Exam Guide: Civil Services Exam and
- Indian forest Service Exam Common Preliminary Exam Paper 1
- UPSC-IFS Exam: Chemistry (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide
- IFS Mathematics for Indian Forest Service
- Forestry – A Subjective Guide For Ifs Aspirants P/B
IFS 2020 Admit Card
Candidates can download admit card for IFS 2020 exam through online mode. It will be available for download from 3rd week of May 2020. To download students must enter their login credentials provided at the time of registration.
Admit card is a necessary document which must be brought by the students with a valid id proof. In case of any discrepancy students must inform the officials 3 weeks before the commencement of exam.
IFS 2020 Cut Off
IFS 2020 Cut off marks are qualifying marks set for various categories which must be obtained in order to successfully qualify the test. The cut off varies for prelims, mains and for final selection after interview.
Candidates can expect their qualifying marks by looking back at the cut off previous years trends:
Cut off year 2017:
Cut off year 2016:
IFS 2020 Result
UPSC IFS 2020 Result will be declared few weeks after the completion of exams. To check result candidates can online enter their login details.
Also, after the release of results of prelims and mains, the interview or personality test will be organized. Students those qualifying the prelims and mains (written test) will be only considered eligible for next personality test or interview round.
UPSC IFS Interview
In the interview or personality test round, the personal suitability of the candidate for the service is accessed. Candidates are tested as per their knowledge.
At the time of appearing for IFS 2020 interview, candidates must carry their photo id proof whose details have been used during registration process.
Bookmark this page for latest news and updates regarding UPSC IFS 2020. For any query, you can drop your comments below, we will be glad to assist you.