SCRA 2020: Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) exam is conducted by UPSC to select the candidates for admission in undergraduate program (4 year Mechanical Engineering course) at Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Jamalpur.
The Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) is one of the oldest recruitment cum engineering entrance exam in India, stared in the year 1927 by then British Government. The candidates are selected for the total of 42 vacancies and they are trained at the BITS, Meshra, Ranchi. After the completion of the training, the successful candidates join Indian Railways as a Group A officers.
Latest – The UPSC SCRA examination has been scraped (terminated) by the UPSC from 2015 onwards.
SCRA 2020 Notification
The SCRA 2020 notification may get released in October, 2019. For complete details about SCRA 2020 exams like eligibility criteria, vacancy, application form, exam pattern, syllabus, study material, etc read the article below.
SCRA 2020 Important Dates
SCRA 2020 Important Dates for the post of Mechanical Engineers are not yet released by the authorities. Tentative dates for the entrance exam are given below:
Note: It is confirmed that the SCRA 2020 has been scrapped. Hence the dates below are not applicable.
|First date of online application||October 2019|
|Last date of online application||November 2019|
|SCRA 2020 Exam Date||January 2020|
|SCRA 2020 Result||To be Declared later|
SCRA 2020 Application Form
Candidates can fill the UPSC SCRA 2020 application form after ensuring that they fill the eligibility criteria required for the vacancy. Following are the points you should know to fill the application form:
- Candidates need to fill the application form online (Latest: Exam has been terminated)
- Visit official website of UPSC upsconline.nic.in
- Enter all the relevant personal details and upload the scanned documents.
- Pay the application fee and submit the form.
- The application fee is Rs 200. Fee is exempted for SC/ST/PWD/Female.
- Payment can only be done through online mode (Debit card/ Credit card/ Internet Banking).
- Application fee can neither be refunded nor be adjusted at any circumstances.
- Take a print out of the application form and keep it safe for future process.
SCRA Question & Answers
Q) Will SCRA be conducted in 2020?
Ans. No, the SCRA exam will not be held in 2020. This exam has been scrapped by UPSC from 2015.
Q) Why SCRA exam was conducted?
Ans. The UPSC SCRA is conducted for selection of Group A officer’s posts in the Indian Railways.
Q) What is the Salary of SCRA qualified candidates?
Ans. On training the apprentices get a stipend of Rs. 9100, after completion of training the salary is Rs 55,000
SCRA 2020 Vacancy
The total number vacancies for SCRA 2020 will be released by the authorities as soon as the official notification will be released. There could be change in the number of vacancies but all that is updated therein by the officials.
SCRA 2020 Salary
The starting salary of the candidates who passed the SCRA exam ranges between Rs 9000 – 35000 per month. The salary keeps on increasing with experience and time. Various other benefits are also provided to them.
The candidates are also absorbed as Group-A officers and then promoted to Junior scale officer, junior administrative grade, senior administrative grade, divisional railway manager, etc.
SCRA 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates should fulfill the below mentioned eligibility criteria to apply for SCRA 2020:
Age limit: The candidates should be between 17 to 21 years as on 1st January 2020. Relaxation in the upper age limit is given to the reserved categories –
- OBC – 03 years
- SC/ST/Ex-servicemen – 05 years
Nationality: Candidate should be either a –
- Citizen of India, or
- A subject of Bhutan/Nepal, or
- A Tibetan refugee; or
- A person of Indian origin (as per the government rules)
Educational Qualification: Candidates should have either of the qualifications mentioned below
- Candidates should have completed Class 12th or equivalent exam from PCM stream with 45% marks in aggregate.
- Candidates appearing in Class 12th can also apply
- Candidates who have passed the first year of graduation with the second division are also eligible to apply
- Have completed pre engineering with at least II division.
Candidates are also required to meet some physical standards set by the authorities. Details of the same will be given along with the notification later.
SCRA 2020 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of UPSC SCRA 2020 is given in the tables below:
|Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Total Marks||600 marks|
|Marking||There will be negative marking for wrong answers|
|Duration||02 hours for each section|
The exam pattern & marking for each subject is given below:
|English, Psychology and General Knowledge||02 hours||200|
|Physics and Chemistry||02 hours||200|
Candidates are not allowed to use calculators for solving the answers.
SCRA 2020 Exam Syllabus
The syllabus of SCRA 2020 will comprise of topics of Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology and General Knowledge. Candidates should prepare well according to the syllabus.
The Paper of English will test the understanding and command of the candidates in English. The questions of General Awareness and Psychology will be based on environment, politics, history, solar system, basic intelligence, mechanical aptitude, etc.
The paper of Physics and Chemistry will be prepared keeping on mind the level of Class 12th students, so candidates need to thoroughly go through their respective subject books.
And the mathematics paper will be from the topics like trigonometry, algebra, geometry, calculus, vector, statistics, probability, etc.
Check the complete syllabus of SCRA 2020 (Click here).
SCRA 2020 Books
Candidates can very well prepare for the examination by preparing from some good and famous books. Candidates get better knowledge about the syllabus and topics of the examination. NCERT books are also helpful for the exams.
Therefore, we are providing you the name of some famous books that would help you to crack SCRA 2020 examination.
- UPSC SCRA solved exam papers by Editorial Board
- UPSC SCRA Masters Guide by RPH Editorial Board
SCRA Previous Year Paper
Candidates can do better preparation for the exams by solving previous years SCRA previous year questions papers. The previous year question papers help the students in getting a good idea about the type of questions asked in the exam.
Students can download question papers by simply clicking on the given link for previous years question papers.
For previous year question papers (Click here)
SCRA 2020 Selection Procedure
Selection Procedure of SCRA involves the following steps:
- Written Examination
- Personality Test
- Document Verification
The candidates who get the minimum qualifying marks in the written examination are called for the personality test (personal interview). The qualifying marks are decided by the authorities.
The candidates who are shortlisted after the interview round will be called for document verification. Final merit list will be prepared after the document verification.
SCRA 2020 Admit Card
- SCRA 2020 Admit card is an essential document and candidates must note that they should carry it to the Exam center.
- Candidates can check and download the admit card from the official website of the commission.
- All the relevant details about the venue and time of the examination are mentioned in the admit card.
- Admit card mutilated in any order will not be accepted so you are requested to keep it safe.
SCRA 2020 Result
- Candidates can check their result through the online mode.
- The result will be declared almost after one month from the date of examination.
- Answer key is also released by UPSC before the declaration of result.
- Candidates have to enter their registration number and password to check the result.
- A merit list of the qualified candidates will be displayed on the screen.
- Shortlisted candidates will also be sent intimation in their respective email ids and phone number.
- Qualified candidates shall start preparing for the next round.
SCRA 2020 Cut-Off
- Cut off marks are the minimum marks that should be obtained by a candidate to get qualified in the examination.
- According to the previous year data, there may also be sectional cut-off of 25% in each paper for all the candidates except PH-I as it was 22.5% for them.
- The data for the previous year cut off marks is available in the table below so that the candidates get an idea about the qualifying marks.
SCRA previous year category wise cut off marks:
|Category||Cut-off Marks (out of 600)|
SCRA 2020 Interview
Few details about the SCRA interview:
- The candidates who get qualified in the written examinations are called for the personality test.
- The candidates who have before them a record of their career will be interview by the board.
- The questions that are asked by the candidates will be based on the matters of general interest.
- The potential qualities of leadership, intellectual curiosity, social qualities, initiative, mental energy, integrity, etc will be checked by the board
- The personality test/Interview is of 200 marks
- Candidates who qualifies the interview are called for document verification
Note: As for now, it is not confirmed that the exam will be conducted in the year 2020 as no official declaration has been made by the authorities regarding the exam.
SCRA exam has not been conducted from last two years and the chance of the exam being conducted in 2020 is also negligible. This post is to provide the information about the exam to the candidates. Stay updated to our page to know the most recent details about the exam.
We hope that you liked the SCRA 2020 notification. For any query, you can drop your comments below, we will be glad to assist you.