CDS 2020 Registration: The CDS (Combined Defence Services) Examination is conducted by UPSC nationwide to select the eligible candidates for the National Defence Academy, Air Force Academy, Indian Military Academy, the Naval Academy and the Officers Training Academy.
The CDS examination is conducted twice in a year (February and November). The official dates for the CDS I and CDS II 2020 is released by the officials. We are providing below the detailed article on the CDS 2020 Application form.
CDS 2020 Registration
The application form for the CDS 2020 examination will be available on 30th October 2019 (CDS I) and 5th August 2020 (CDS II). Candidates are advised to read and understand the given points:
- Candidates shall first make sure that they fulfill all the eligibility criteria required to appear in CDS 2020 examination.
- Candidates have to fill the CDS 2020 registration form through online mode by visiting the website of UPSC.
- Candidates shall also go through all the guidelines prescribed to fill the application form.
- Candidates shall apply early & not wait for the last date of filing the CDS application form as the exam centers for the written examination are allotted on first come first serve basis.
- The process for filling the application form will be completed in two stages.
- Candidates shall not send the print out of the CDS application form or any other document to UPSC in any physical mode.
CDS Application Dates 2020
UPSC has announced the important dates for CDS 2020 registration which is given in the table below. Candidates can prepare well in advance after going through these dates:
|Events||CDS I||CDS II|
|CDS Application Start Date||30th October 2019||5th August 2020|
|Online Application Last Date||19th November 2019||25th August 2020|
|CDS 2020 Admit Card||11th January 2020||11th October 2020|
|CDS 2020 Examination||02nd February 2020||8th November 2020|
|Result Declaration||March 2020 (Tentative)||December 2020 (Tentative)|
CDS 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria laid down by UPSC for CDS 2020 examination is based upon the educational qualification, nationality, age limit and marital status of the candidates which varies according to the institution. Details are given below:
Candidate must be either:
- a citizen of India; or
- a subject of Bhutan/Nepal; or
- a Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1st January 1963
- a person of Indian origin migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Vietnam, etc.
|Indian Naval Academy||18 – 23 years|
|Air Force Academy||20 – 24 years|
|Officers Training Academy||18 – 24 years|
|Indian Military Academy||18 – 23 years|
Gender & Marital Status
|Institutions||Gender & Marital Status|
|Indian Naval Academy||Unmarried Male Candidates|
|Air Force Academy||Male Candidates|
|Officers Training Academy||Male (Married/unmarried)
|Indian Military Academy||Unmarried Male Candidates|
|Indian Naval Academy||Degree in Engineering from a recognized institution.|
|Air Force Academy||Degree from a recognized university with physics and math at 10 + 2 level OR Bachelor’s in Engineering|
|Officers Training Academy||Degree from a recognized university/equivalent.|
|Indian Military Academy||Degree from a recognized university/equivalent.|
Candidates who have a professional or technical qualification from a recognized institution can also apply. The candidates who are appearing for the qualifying exam are also eligible to apply provided they do not have any present backlog up to the last semester.
How to fill the CDS Registration form 2020?
The CDS application form will be filled in two stages. Candidates are advised to read the points given below very carefully as filling the application form is the foremost and most important step for getting into the defence forces you wish to become a part of:
It is a basic registration part where candidates need to follow the following steps:
- Log in to the UPSC official website and click on the Examination tab.
- Then select the option “Combined Defence Services Examination”.
- A registration page will open where candidates will be required to fill some general details.
- The details include Name, Date of Birth, Email Address, Contact Number, Parents’ name, Category, Marital Status, etc.
- Candidates are then required to choose their preference for NA, IMA, NDA, AFA and OTA.
- Preference for various fields should be such that the field with the highest preference should be put at number 01 and with the lowest preference at number 0.
- Candidates may also have to indicate whether they have obtained or are likely to obtain NCC ‘C’ certificate (Senior Division).
- Candidates who are serving the armed forces will also have to indicate the same while filling the application form.
- Candidates are then advised to verify the details entered by them in the application form and modify if any discrepancy is noticed.
- No changes will be permitted after this stage.
- After completion of all the above steps, candidates shall take a print out of the confirmation page of Part 1 registration for future reference which will contain their registration ID and other details.
Points to be kept in mind while filling the personal details in Stage 1:
|Candidate’s name||Shall be as per the matriculation certificate|
|Gender||Choose Male/Female from the dropdown menu|
|Date of Birth||As per matriculation certificate in DD/MM/YY format|
|Marital Status||Choose Married/Unmarried/Divorcee/Widow(er) from the drop-down menu.|
|Address||Shall be a permanent address|
|Email Id/contact number||Shall be a valid one and shall remain valid unless the whole selection process stops.|
|Educational Qualification||Whether passed or appearing in the required qualification.|
Stage 2 is an important part of the CDS registration and is done by following the steps given below:
- Candidates shall select the option “Part II Registration” and then enter the registration ID (generated after the completion of Part I) and date of birth.
- Candidates are first required to pay the application fee through either online mode (debit card/credit card/internet banking) or offline mode (e-challan).
- After the successful payment of application fee, candidates will then have to upload their scanned photograph and signature.
- The uploaded images can be viewed by clicking on the “Preview option”.
- Candidates will now be given an option to select the exam centers from the drop-down menu for appearing in the written examination.
- Check all the details carefully, agree to the declaration and submit the form.
- After all the above steps, a confirmation page will be generated and candidates are required to take a print out of the same for the future reference.
The application fee if Rs 200 for General/OBC and is exempted for the candidates belonging to Female/SC/ST categories.
Candidates shall keep the student copy of the challan as proof of payment if the payment is done through cash.
CDS Registration – Documents Required
It is very important to keep all the relevant documents handy while filling the application form to skip all the discrepancies. So the required documents are:
- Matriculation Mark sheet (for reference)
- Intermediate Mark sheet (for reference)
- Graduation pass certificate (for reference)
- Reservation Certificate (if applicable)
- Scanned photograph and signature (to be uploaded)
|Photograph||jpg||3 – 40 kb||110 X 140|
|Signature||jpg||1 – 40 kb||140 X 110|
CDS 2020 FAQs
- Can the application fee be refunded?
Ans. No, the CDS 2020 registration fee is not refunded under any circumstances.
- Are candidates who are just appearing for the qualifying examination eligible to fill the application form?
Ans. Yes, candidates who are appearing for the qualifying exam are also eligible to apply provided they do not have any present backlog up to the last semester and they submit the relevant documents at the time of admission.
- What mode of fee payment is accepted for CDS 2020 application form?
Ans. The application fee can be paid either through online mode or offline mode.
- What is the CDS Salary
Ans. The salary of CDS officers can be from 15, 600 to 39, 100 which increases with rank and experience.
- Shall I send the hard copy of the CDS application form to the authorities?
Ans. No, you are not required to send the hard copy to the authorities. You just have to retain it with yourself for future reference.
- How can I do correction in my application form?
Ans. No correction window is opened by UPSC so candidates shall fill all the details carefully and also re-check the same before finally submitting the form.
CDS 2020 Important points
Here are some important points that the candidates shall know about the CDS 2020 Application form:
- No correction can be made once the application form is finally submitted.
- The spelling and all the other details of the candidates shall be correct in all the respects.
- Candidates shall not wait for the last date to fill the application form.
- Candidates shall make sure that the photograph and signature they are uploading are according to the prescribed specifications.
We hope that you liked the CDS 2020 Registration. For any query, you can drop your comments below, we will be glad to assist you.