AFCAT 2020 Exam Overview
Are you looking for career in Air Force ? Then you must appear in AFCAT 2020 Exam.
AFCAT 2020 is one of the Gateway who can provide you the opportunity to join Indian Air Force as an Officer. AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test) is organized by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
This exam is conducted at national level. It is organized to recruit candidates as Commissioned Officers in Flying & Ground Duties (Technical & Non-technical branches) of Indian Air Force. It is conducted two times in a year, i.e. February (AFCAT 2020 I) and September (AFCAT 2020 II).
Now, let us discuss more about Indian Air Force AFCAT 2020 exam details like dates, application form, eligibility criteria, exam pattern etc.
AFCAT 2020 Exam Dates
Check the complete exam schedule of AFCAT 2020 Exam Dates for February exam from below:
|AFCAT 2020 Events||AFCAT I Dates||AFCAT II Dates|
|Official notification release||1st week of December 2019||3rd week of June 2020|
|Starting of application form||1st week of December 2019||3rd week of June 2020|
|Last date to fill the application form||Last week of December 2019||3rd week of July 2020|
|Admit card issue||Last week of January 2020||1st week of August 2020|
|Date of exam||3rd week of February 2020||3rd week of August 2020|
|Release of answer key||3rd week of February 2020||3rd week of August 2020|
|Declaration of result||1st week of March 2020||October 2020|
AFCAT 2020 Exam Summary
AFCAT 2020 Vacancies
The vacancies announced through AFCAT 2020 are as follows:
|Flying||SSC for Men &
|207/20F/SSC/M & W||SSC – 25|
|PC for Men and
SSC for Men &
206/20T/SSC/M & W
|Ground Duty (Non-
|PC for Men & SSC
for Men & Women
206/20G/SSC/M & W
|Admin : PC-11, SSC-15
AFCAT 2020 Salary/Pay Scale
The AFCAT salary or payscale would be applicable on grant of Commission to Flying Officers are as follows:
- Pay in Pay Band ( Common to all Branches ) – Rs 56,100 Per Month ( The officer will be placed in Level 10 in the Pay Matrix of VIIth CPC – 56,100-1,10,700).
- Military Service Pay – Rs 15,500 Per Month.
- Transport allowance, Children Education Allowance, HRA & other allowances are also admissible to Officers.
AFCAT 2020 Application Form
Candidates can check details about the AFCAT 2020 application form, fee & other details from below:
- The application form will be provided via online mode from the first week of December 2019.
- No offline application will be available to apply for AFCAT.
- Aadhaar card will be mandatory for AFCAT Registration 2020.
- In case of multiple application forms, the latest one will be considered.
- Candidates will have to provide their personal, qualification, course preference, communication & other details in the application form.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature and thumb impression in JPG or JPEG format (file size – 10 to 50KB).
- Make the fee payment through the online or offline mode.
- Keep safe the printout of the application form for further use.
Also See: AFCAT 2020 Application Form
AFCAT 2020 Application Fee
- The application fee will be Rs. 250/- for all candidates.
- It will be non-refundable.
- Only online mode would be used to make fee payment like debit/credit card and net banking.
AFCAT Previous Years Question Papers
Previous years question papers can help you to know the exam pattern deeply. In this section we will upload the previous year questions papers of AFCAT exam. Candidates may download the previous years papers once they will be uploaded.
AFCAT 2020 Eligibility Criteria
- Citizenship – Only Indian citizen will be eligible to apply.
- Marital Status – Candidates below 25 years age should be unmarried at the time of commencement of course. Married candidates above 25 years age are eligible to apply.
- Age Limit for Flying Branch – 20 to 24 years as on 1st January 2021. Candidates must have born between 2nd January 1997 to 1st January 2021. Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA (India) is relax able upto 26 years.
- Age Limit for Ground Duty Branch – Candidates DoB should fall between 2nd January 1995 to 1st January 2021.
- Qualification for Flying Branch:
- 3 year graduation degree in any discipline with 60% marks.
- BE or B.Tech degree with 60% marks.
- Candidates must have passed in Mathematics & Physics with 60% marks in each subject at 10+2 level.
- Qualification for Ground Duty Branch:
- Aeronautical Engineer – Four years degree graduation/integrated post-graduation qualification in Engineering/ Technology with 60% marks in physics & mathematics subjects at 12th
- Administration& Logistics – Three year graduation degree with 60% marks.
- Accounts – B.Com degree with 60% marks or equivalent.
- Education – MBA, MCA or MA/ MSc degree in English, Defence Studies, Psychology, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Statistics, International relations, International Studies, Computer Science, IT, Management, Mass Communication etc. with 50% marks.
- Physical & Medical Eligibility:
- Candidates must be physically fit in line with the officially prescribed physical standards.
- They have to qualify the medical examination conducted at AFCME, New Delhi or IAM, Bengaluru.
AFCAT 2020 Exam Pattern
Candidates can check the exam pattern of AFCAT exam from below:
- Mode of Exam: Online
- Type of Questions: Objective type questions
- Number of Questions: 100
- Duration: 120 minutes
- Marking Criteria: 3 marks for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: -1 mark.
- The section wise detail of AFCAT exam is mentioned below:
|Exam||Duration||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|AFCAT 2020||120 minutes||100||300|
|EKT (for Technical branch)||45 minutes||50||150|
AFCAT 2020 Syllabus
Before preparing for exam, candidates should go through the AFCAT Syllabus which is given below:
|General Awareness||History, Geography, Environmental Science, Current Affairs, Current Affairs, Politics, Civics, Basic Science, Defense, and Art|
|Numerical Ability||Decimal Fraction, Simplification, Average, Percentage, Ration and Proportion, Simple Interest and Profit and Loss|
|Verbal Ability in English||Comprehension, Error Detection, Synonyms, Antonyms, Testing of Vocabulary, Sentence Completion etc|
|Reasoning and Military Aptitude Test||Verbal skills and Spatial abilities.|
|EKT Syllabus (for technical branches)||Mechanical, Electrical & Electronics & Computer Science|
AFCAT 2020 Recruitment Process
To get recruit through AFCAT exam, firstly candidates have to qualify the online examination. They have to meet the minimum cut-off marks to proceed for the next step.
After that, selected candidates will be called at one of the Air Force Selection Boards (AFSB). The AFSB centres are located in Dehradun, Mysuru, Gandhinagar and Varanasi.
Candidates will have to generate their call letters for AFSB through the website. Candidates should be physically fit when they report for the AFSB.
The AFSB procedure comprises of three stages which are given below:
- Stage 1: It includes Officer Intelligence Rating Test along with Picture Perception and discussion test. The document verification will be done in this stage.
- Stage 2: Psychological test, Group Tests and Interview will be conducted in second stage.
- Stage 3: For Flying Branch – In this stage Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS) test will be conducted. It is mandatory to clear this test.
After qualifying the onlince test and AFSB, a final merit list will be prepared. Allotment of PC/ SSC in Ground Duty (Technical and Non-technical) Branches will be based on number of vacancies, selection process performance and the choice filled by the candidates.
How to Prepare for AFCAT
Candidates appearing for AFCAT 2020 can follow the preparation tips given below:
- General Awareness – This section focus of current affairs related to IAF. This section could be prepared easily if you are aware of daily events and activities in India.
- Reasoning – This section requires dynamic preparation. Reasoning can be best prepared if practiced regularly.
- Military Aptitude – Candidates have to practice this section on regular basis. It covers verbal skills and spatial ability which needs regular practice.
- Medically Fit – Candidates are also required to qualify the AFSB test so they have to be medically fit. Candidates must have ability to run 01 mile (1.6 kms) in 10 minutes, 10 push ups and 3 chin ups.
AFCAT 2020 Books & Study Materials
Candidates can refer the following books to prepare for AFCAT:
- AFCAT (Flying Technical & Ground Duty Branch) by Disha Experts
- Let’s Crack AFCAT: Air Force Common Admission Test
- AFCAT Self Study Guide – Cum – Practice Work Book
- AFCAT – The First Step Book
- The new AFCAT Guide with 14 Year-wise Past Papers (2011 -2018)
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by RS Aggarwal
AFCAT 2020 Admit Card
An e-admit card will be issued to the eligible candidates. The AFCAT admit card 2020 will be released in the month of January (for AFCAT I) and August (for AFCAT II).
It will be released via online mode. The admit card will be sent to the candidate’s registered email ID and also available at the website. In case of any discrepancy contact to the AFCAT Query Cell at C-DAC, Pune.
Candidate’s name, roll number, exam name, date & time, exam centre and other details will be mentioned in it. Candidates have to bring admit card along with Photo ID proof, passport size photograph and ball point pen on exam day.
AFCAT 2020 Cut Off
Cut off will be the minimum marks required by the candidates to proceed for the next round. The AFCAT cut off 2020 will be released via online mode. It will be announced along with the result. The previous year cut off of AFCAT exams are given below:
|AFCAT Exam||AFCAT Cut Off (out of 300)||EKT Cut Off (out of 150)|
|AFCAT 1 2018||155||60|
|AFCAT 2 2017||160||60|
|AFCAT 1 2017||150||60|
|AFCAT 2 2016||148||60|
|AFCAT 1 2016||132||52|
AFCAT 2020 Result
The result will be announced in the month of March (for AFCAT 1) and October (for AFCAT 2). Students can check AFCAT result 2020 via online mode.
Candidates are required to enter their Email ID and password to check the result. After the online test, candidates will be invited for AFSB rounds.
Candidates will have to book their AFSB date, time & centre via online mode. The final merit list of selected candidates will be released through the website.